I am always interested in drug design with computational simulation. After going through the limited results from Glassdoor about this, I find the following skills that are essential for the position in a pharmaceutical company (Novartis, J&J, Pfizer).
- Written and oral communication skill.
- Work with cross-disciplinary teams (Medicinal chemists, Biologists, Computational scientists, Bioassay).
- Familiar with drug discovery programs (lead generation, lead optimizatoin, molecular target assessment, HTS triage, library design and evaluation, QSAR analysis, AMDET modeling, ligand-based drug design, pharmacophore modeling, lead hopping, homology modeling, MD/QM simulation, virtual screening, molecular docking, silico modeling).
- Software: Schrodinger suite, Accelrys Pipeline Pilot, SpotFire, MOE, ChemAxon, OpenEye.
- Linux/Unix (automation script).
- Strong record of scientific accomplishments.
- Management skill.
Payment is around $100,000/y. Work/life balance depends on the position.
Work hard to gain it!
The webpage of Scott Wildman’s Lab has a introduction about major procedures of drug design.